Chapter 1 Stroke Facts
This chapter reviews the facts about the frequency and causes of stroke. It emphasizes efforts to educate about prevention and control of modifiable risk factors.
· What is the frequency of stroke recurrence?
· What modifiable risk factors can decrease the risk of stroke and stroke recurrence?
Chapter 2 Brain Attack
Every minute counts! This chapter reviews the efforts to educate the public about stroke as a brain attack and provides an overview of emergent response in an effort to limit the impact of a stroke.
· What are the symptoms of a stroke?
· How is the public being taught to recognize and respond to stroke symptoms?
· How do emergent stroke teams respond in order to limit the damage caused by a stroke?
Chapter 3 Anatomy & Physiology
This review of pathophysiology and etiology of stroke helps to develop skills in anticipating functional outcomes based on the site of the stroke.
· What deficits can be expected following a middle, anterior, or posterior artery stroke?
· What is the difference between a left and right brain stroke?
· What are the different types of stroke?
Case Study Chapters
These chapters present three cases for review and application of core rehab skills to the care of patients with stroke. The team must work closely together to evaluate, rehabilitate, and educate the patient and caregiver. Patients will not thrive in the community if we do not learn to care for caregivers too. This means empowering them, training them, and assisting them to use support and services from friends and others so that they can take care of themselves.
Chapter 4 Marla's Story
Marla's story focuses on the impact of right brain stroke and its associated perceptual deficits on safety and functional skills.
Chapter 5 Ken's Story
Left brain strokes present a different set of concerns and are often associated with communication problems. Ken's story addresses this situation and reminds the learner of the need not only to teach, but also to prepare the family to care for the caregiver.
Chapter 6 Sylvia's Story
Kids have strokes too! This chapter addresses the needs of a teen with a cerebellar aneurysm that has caused a stroke in the cerebellum and reviews the difference in the pattern of deficits according to the vessel involved and integration of developmental needs into the plan of care.